Opening School Facilities Fund
Sport England have announced that £10.1 million of Department for Education funding (DfE) will be invested into the Active Partnership network to:
- To help develop extracurricular opportunities and community links for children and young people.
- Support schools to open and re-open their facilities to the local community.
In July 2019 the DfE, DCMS and DHSC published the School Sport and Activity Action Plan (the Action Plan). This Action Plan was a joint commitment to ongoing collaboration at national level to ensure that sport and physical activity are an integral part of both the school day and after-school activities. Opening School Facilities phase 2 programme supports this commitment and Wesport are responsible for the delivery of this programme across the West of England.
Wesport's role is to provide support and investment to schools to help deliver after school provision to help young people reconnect, recover and return to play. Particularly focusing on those schools with a high percentage of pupils on FSM, SEND or in areas of deprivation where locally activity levels amongst children and young people are typically low. We will also look to support schools to help open or reopen their facilities to the local community, as local evidence suggests that schools are community hubs where people feel safe.
Primary, Secondary & Special Schools from B&NES, North Somerset, Bristol and South Gloucestershire will be eligible to apply for this funding. Although we will be prioritising applications from:
- Secondary School, Special Schools (After school, weekend and holiday provision)
- Primary, Secondary & Special schools opening up facilities to the wider community (Including lettings)
- Schools with swimming pools
The programme will run from April 1st 2021 – 31st August 2021.
(Funding has to be committed by the end of August, projects may be delivered by the second week of September term. Funding limits: £1500 minimum, £10,000 maximum as a guide).
What we need from schools interested...
We are asking for schools interested in accessing funding and support from Wesport to do the following:
- Complete the Expression of interest form online (See below)
- If approved, complete monitoring and evaluation as part of the programme (TBC by Sport England & Wesport)